The plan if there even was one, was to use scraps. Ha! I had some already cut slices of beautiful solids and one or two stripes and that got me going. I decided to make this Quilt As You Go, so I searched for large batting scraps. The piece I found was long and narrow, so I cut it in half and used fused cottons fabric to connect the pieces.
Saturday, February 17, 2018
Carolyn, one of the gals in my church knitting group, the Knitwits, was given some fabric by her friend. The friend wanted her to make a quilt from these fabrics. The fabrics were very pale yellow, a print, a solid and a white eyelet. Carolyn brought the fabric to me and asked me to make a quilt (for pay) from these fabrics so she could in return give it to the donor. I said Yes, because I love yellow, and decided she could donate my fee to the church.
But, and this is a big but...the three fabrics were way too uninspiring, so I asked if I could bring some other fabrics into the mix to add interest. In the end I didn't use any of the solid yellow or the eyelet and lots of yellow, green, purple, white and orange. It was fun to just play with scraps and see what happened and it only took a day to make the top, 44x54"
Here's a close-up of the fabrics that I added. The original print also happened to be in the church's stash, so I didn't use a bit of the donated print.
That light yellow print was used as the binding also. The batting was a large scrap donated by one of my quilting pals, and therefore was also free. The only non-free part was my labor, but how can you call having fun labor?
I don't plan on making a habit of taking on challenges like this again. I kept thinking about what I would be making if I chose three fabrics from my own stash? We'll have to see.
Monday, February 12, 2018
The organ cover is assembled and quilted and all it needs now is to apply the rod pockets and rods. We are using thin garden stakes for tomatoes! They are long enough and lightweight and just the perfect solution to hold the cover properly.
Altho it isn't obvious here, I ended up zigzagging around each letter to keep it safe from picking fingers. And unfinished, I brought it to church to show a few folks and got rave reviews. Thank heaven!
The quilting has some Christian symbols in it. Here is the Holy Spirit Dove and flames for Pentecost.
And the Triune circles of the Trinity. That wiggly top edge will have the rod pocket sewed on and be contained nicely.
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
We have a brand new pipe organ at our church and it was placed in a very public spot in the sanctuary, where people and kids gather before sitting in the pews. The keys and stops are an attraction to inquisitive fingers and it was felt that a cover would protect the organ. Two of us sewists were asked to design a cover and my partner in this project sketched out the cover layout. We delayed and delayed and finally got around to starting on it. In the meantime my partner had to go out of town and that left it to me to design the top. Altho suggestions of using many Christian symbols strewn across the width, I wanted a more 'harmonious' design. Rather than use the typical 'Make a joyful noise' I looked for another Bible passage.
I liked this one from Psalms and typed it out in an appropriate font, to copy into 6 1/2" letters. The backing fabric is Kona cotton and is the exact color of our pew cushions, a small miracle. I will line it in another blue cotton, and quilt the letters, and add some symbols in the quilting itself, thus satisfying the request for those symbols.
I used a hand dye painted fabric I made years ago and never found a use for, until now. I fused the back of the fabric and cut out the letters, arranging them in the drop part of the front.
The side drops will be the Alpha and Omega which was suggested several times, and I was happy to find a spot just for them. I used silk shantung for these. The top part of the cover will not have any appliques on it, just quilting.
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
I made it a little longer so it covered the necessary parts and I can wear it with leggings. For fun I put the pockets and cuffs on the bias.
Three pockets, as always, and side slits.
I think the robe idea will be next, but I have to find just the right fabric, and that means a trip to the store. Awww shucks!
Sunday, January 28, 2018
My PT has been in the shop (again) for over a week, waiting for parts, and I have had to depend on friends and family to get me around, which is of course a pain for everyone.
I got impatient and decided it was time for a new car. I went online to Carmax with no idea what I wanted, other than a hatchback and heated seats. I found this 2015 Lexus CT 200h, with less than 19K miles and it had everything imaginable on it. I fell deeply in love and got my sister to take me over and I bought it Friday night.
I am giddy with happiness and don't care if I ever see my PT again...but I will have to retrieve it, if and when it is ever fixed.
So, confident that I am able to get around when needed, I stayed home Saturday and quilted. What else?
One of our members of our church group Knitwits is moving and it was decided she needed a quilt from us, and an crocheted afghan too. I did the quilt using the cherries and strawberries fabrics I have in my stash. The design is simple so the quilting had to be fancy.
Thursday, January 25, 2018
When I say Shopcoat, I mean that I will wear this in my sewing room, and kitchen as a semi-apron, in the garden to keep my shirts clean, and just around the house as my go to uniform/robe. It'll be washed often and get plenty of wear. It's made of Waverly cotton duck and the camellia print is one that caught my eye last year when I bought the fabric at Walmart.
Three pockets make this a very useful garment.